Sunday, May 20, 2012

Why I Ran for Intergity

When one of the Unit Managers' on the floor announced that there will be a Fun Run and that the first 300 registrants will be for free, I did not think twice about it. I took advantage of it and signed up at the drop of a hat. When I learned that it was not just  Convergys wide, that got me into thinking that perhaps I will not be as lucky.

When I started working as a call center agent, my active life as a stay at home mom  of seven went sedentary. For seven and a half  hours, five days a week, I sat in front of the computer, took in calls and typed. It was a routinary job, boring for some, health hazard for many. Since it was my main source of income, I did what every mom needed to do. Stay and learn to love what used to be a very taxing job. Through the years the hard work had paid off, well sort of financially. And with the confidence and independence, I  learned that there were still worlds I need to discover as well as opportunities  on how to learn and earn more.

 I also realized that getting fit had become a rarity, as far as time and attention was concerned.Though I did not  gain that much, there were days that I felt I could have been more active. So I just get by with   brisk walking and taking the stairs when the elevator or escalator  was not working. The last time the company had a  sports event was two years ago where I joined the hip hop class. I also had the chance to wall climb. Though the hand-me-down Reebok shoes from my nephew were  a bit old, they helped me a lot to gain my footing. Luckily I did not fell from the wall and finished it with flying colors which was not too  bad for a first timer.


Warming up with picture shots before we hit the tracks



I said to myself then that such experience deserved not just a second try. Each time the company gave surveys I usually point out to have more sports activities that agents can take advantage of. I was not really surprised when a Fun Run was announced.

A few weeks after the registration, I saw my name on the list of 3K runners. What more, most of my friends were there as well. I should be thankful, problem was I did not have any running gear. Since I did not want to have the registration fee deducted from my payroll in case I changed my mind, though it was a free one, I might as well have myself prepared and buy me a new pair of running shoes. I asked around which brand would be the best, but the experience I had with the last pair of shoes I used at that sports event two years ago  keep coming back. Good thing my memory was still sharp, and that's when I remembered the brand. "Reebok, " and off I went to the warehouse store so I can get a discount. I asked the salesperson what I needed. I added it will be my first time to join a Fun Run and plan to used the shoes for wall climbing in the future. I gave him the impression that I want to get my money's worth since I plan to use it for a long time.

Honesty went  a long way. He gave me options, and finally I found what I wanted. He gave a short laugh when I told him there was no need to wrap it properly as I plan to use it immediately so I can get the feel of them.  I was excited to wear my new shoes and that's what I just did. This was a  day before  the Fun Run.

That evening I tried to get as much sleep. The Assembly time was at 4:30 in the morning. I left home at 3:45 am to meet my friends at the office. Upon arriving, I went to the locker room, left my belongings except my ID and  phone, grab a light breakfast and went off to see my friends. We were  excited as we head to Bonifacio Global City.

Nobody could miss the event place. There were lots of people  heading in  one direction. Though it was still dusk, I got swayed to have my picture taken at the photo booth. Besides it was free. And that was not just the free photos I got that day. Since I am the most senior in age among the group, they cannot help but notice at the skimpy shorts I wore. I told them I am more comfortable running wearing them. Besides, at my age I felt I did not have to explain every move or gear I  wore whenever I want to.


Before the Run starts

In a few minutes, the race was about to start. The crowd was enormous. There were local and foreign press even who took our pictures.There were  Managers of different Convergys' sites, clients, even local personalities. Some parents also had their kids joined, even in strollers.  I can no longer contain my excitement. The race  started with the 15K runners, next was the 10K counterparts, then the 5K registrants . Finally it was our batch.With every countdown, there was a roar of acknowledgment from the crowd. And with every roar, my  heart skipped a beat,  until the gun shot signaled the start of the race. And off we went . There were lots of runners that I could hardly move. I told my friends, in between breaths  that I'll take my own route, and ran away as fast as I could.

I have not been running for  a very long time. I cannot even remember when was the last time. But on that day, I felt like a kid again, without a care in the world and who just wanted to finish the race. Every time I slow down, with sweat sticking on my skin, to the point of tasting it, I got a different kind of high. Such adrenalin I never thought I had. The volunteers who guided the runners where to go, the traffic enforcers who made sure the race will not be interrupted, even the water supply for runners, filled in glasses , ready to drink in a hurry, all added to the color of the event. I also found out  that my 3k run was short lived after finishing ahead of my friends. I realized  that I want some more. And that brought a smile to my lips.


Skimpy shorts and Reebok blend well with me 
I finished the race in 30 minutes, but that's only based from my calculations. I did not care less if it  took longer than that. What mattered was  I finished what I had started. As I  searched for my friends who just arrived from the race I went ahead to meet them with  that proud smile in my eyes.



Still looking great after the race with UM Alex  and my friends 


Not bad for my first Fun Run. Not bad at all.










(images credit to facebook.com)

79 comments:

  1. And the skimpy shorts was not bad at all too! You totally rocked it :) 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope one day, we could join the Fund Run together Khaye,  so I could meet you in person. Blessings to you and your family !

    ReplyDelete
  3.  Keep on doing what you love :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kat . They' re Reebok  and  wore them immediately I paid for them at the counter. Lol !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure will ! Thanks for dropping by ! 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not bad, I agree! I also want to try Fun Run but I don't have time yet. maybe when my son get a little older.

    Mommy Maye (http://momayes.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not bad indeed! You just had one of the most great decisions you've ever made! Keep it up Sis! I just want to ask if how does it feel like to work as a call center agent?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've been meaning to join fun run too but i'm having second thought, baka hingalin ako ng sobra at hindi ko matapos. hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's been a dream to run to.. but have no buddy.. my husband prefer running on his treadmill.. the sad part is that I can't find more friends with treadmill.. so happy for you!

     

    Dropping by from BC
    Bloggers Comment Hop
    See you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. would love to try it but still needs clearance from my cardiologist :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My colleague is so much into these marathons.  I plan to join next year, when I am all geared up for it.  I still have some health issues to attend to first  :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your running. We all really need to exercise regularly for our health and so much the better if we do something we enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you Sis and congrats! ;) I haven't tried joining any fun run though there were invitations. Maybe next time I will, haha! 

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's called 'fun run'

    But they do, pool funds from it. Anyway, run more! baka magkita tayo one time :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi sarah! good for you and congrats for that 1st fund run!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I salute you. I want to get fit again. Hopefully at the right time, I will be able to start again. I just gave birth so I dont have the luxury of time yet. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations!!! i hope you have many more fun runs to come

    ReplyDelete
  18. http://www.ronsilvoza.comMay 22, 2012 at 10:00 AM

    such great advocacy. enjoyed reading this article po :)

    http://www.ronsilvoza.com 

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember when I join the first fun run at DepEd, we were late because my sister forgot about me so they have to return back to pick me up. but it was totally fun and would love to join again

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow! congrats on finishing the run ahead of your friends. I haven't join any fun runs and I hope I can do to sometime. 

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. My friends love participating in the fun run, too and I wish to try joining them some day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stressful and challenging. But if you are disciplined, you will get the hang of it and get to enjoy as well with the money that you earn. You also become well informed as the world becomes smaller with the people that you talk to everyday . Just make sure you take care of your health. 

    Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You should try one time. Thanks for dropping by !

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is a great way to start your day . I am glad you got the chance to join. Thanks for coming over !

    ReplyDelete
  25. You should Lizzie because once you do,  you are going to find ways on how to run more. Thanks for visiting !

    ReplyDelete
  26. That would be great. You could run together . It is also a great way to bond with your son. Blessings !

    ReplyDelete
  27. You can slow down when you want to. That's what is good about it. you can run at your own pace . Brisk walking is also a good way to warm up. 

    Thanks for the visit. 

    ReplyDelete
  28. You can convince your husband to join. It is also one great way to bond with him. If you have kids, you can also encourage them to join as it is a great way to start one's day.

    I hope one day this dream will come true . Good luck !

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is a good point to consider . You can try brisk walking for starters also as that is a great way to get fit as well.
      Blessings !

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just focus on getting well  first by taking care of those health issues. Then if your doctor tells you that is ok, then go.

    Blessings ! 

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks Marie ! It indeed takes time and attention  to do the things that matter to us. Thanks for the visit !

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for the feedback. Just visited you blog about Pinay Fitness. I hope that free service is still available. Hope to see you there as well. 

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just a few months and once you' re  okay , encourage your husband to join as well. At the run event, there were parents with their babies in strollers. And you can even write a post about that experience as well.

    Good luck !

    ReplyDelete
  34. I will definitely find the time when I can . Thanks for dropping by ! 

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for dropping by . The experience was worth it ! 

    ReplyDelete
  36. You should once you find the time. It is a great way to bond with family and friends . Thanks for the visit ! 

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm not sure if they're still offering at a good deal for bloggers. But they offer the service at a reasonable price. I suggest you pool people to go with you. Kasi lalabas around 350 per session lang sya, for the same service (nutrition, etc.)

    The coaches also know and are certified in a lot of types of exercises like yoga, pilates, crossfit, running, etc.

    Hope this helps, if you have any more questions about it. Drop me a line. Try ko-i-coordinate sa kanila. One of the coaches pala is a triathlete, so kung gusto mo ma-improve running mo, she can help :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I hope you find the time to join . It will be the one of the best decisions you  will ever make .

    Thanks for the visit !

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks Reese for dropping by !  Hope you can join one in the future .

    ReplyDelete
  40. when I was in college, I used to join FUN RUNS organized by my teachers. Last year, I organized a FUN RUN in our place:) mas gaganahan ka kasi if mayroon kang advocacy.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I admire your determination to run as you value your integrity. This is one of the many I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Never tried to join Fun run but I know its cool and its helpful especially to our health hopefully soon .. Congrats =)

    ReplyDelete
  43. i have a colleague who is into fun run. after several time he's joining, he got slim. this will be a great way to tone down my belly fat. this one of the things i would like to do, join a fun run 

    ReplyDelete
  44. Congratulations! I haven't join any Fun Run but received a lot of used and unused singlets from my Uncle. I'll include this in my to do list. Hopefully, my hubby would join in. 

    Those shoes are cute! 

    ReplyDelete
  45.  It would be great to encourage your husband to join a Fun Run.  Thanks for the visit and for liking my shoes as well 

    ReplyDelete
  46. Having a buddy is one motivation to join a fun run and to get fit. You not get to enjoy running but the results of it health wise are beneficial as well. 

    Thanks for dropping by ! 

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thanks Mona. I hope  you will find the time to run one day as well !

    ReplyDelete
  48. It is  very true that health is wealth Gil . It also takes a lot of focus and determination. Thanks for the visit !

    ReplyDelete
  49. I would love to start a Fun Run at our province in the future. I hope you could write about that experience one of these days. 

    Thanks for dropping by ! 

    ReplyDelete
  50. Shucks! I can't even run 1 K hehe. My legs easily hurt when I and hubby jog so I walk 90% of the time. Also I have rheumatic heart disease so I pant like a dog.
    30 minutes, I salute you!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Walking can also be a great way to get fit .  Thanks for dropping by !

    ReplyDelete
  52. gahh! I don't like running too much. I would rather bike. I'm that lazy. lol :D

    But I have to admit, sitting in front of the computer for so many hours is not good for one's health. I, for one, blame my computer seat for altering the shape of my bottoms. lol :D I love how you write :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. wow. i haven't tried joining any fun run. hehe i'll add it to my to do list :)

    ReplyDelete
  54. it seems that everyone is happy with the fun run. nice post indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  55. sarah mallari bucuMay 25, 2012 at 4:02 PM

    Biking is also a great way to exercise . Thanks for dropping by !

    ReplyDelete
  56. thanks for sharing your adventure! you looked like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  57. sarah mallari bucuMay 28, 2012 at 12:07 PM

    I sure did Nelson ! Thanks for your visit .

    ReplyDelete
  58. sarah mallari bucuMay 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM

    Thanks Gelo ! It was really  quite an experience

    ReplyDelete
  59. sarah mallari bucuMay 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM

    Its about time to try it. Good luck and thanks for the visit !

    ReplyDelete
  60. Congrats on your first ever fun run! Be more active!

    ReplyDelete
  61. I love how your outlook on your work. Thanks for sharing about the run, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  62. Hey I do fun runs too! I wish there'll be a fun run for bloggers as well :D 

    ReplyDelete
  63. Whao..it must be certainly really fun to go for a run. I haven't done one as yet as not really keen on running.

    ReplyDelete
  64. congrats and continue running!

    ReplyDelete
  65. I never had a chance on joining fun run..But now after reading your blog ,,I think I might give it a try.. good experience and also a way to be healthy.:)

    ReplyDelete
  66. a really nice time to get fit and be healthy .  

    ReplyDelete
  67. That's a great suggestion ! Who knows, we may have one very soon !

    ReplyDelete
  68. It was a choice to look at the brighter side of it .Thanks for dropping by ! 

    ReplyDelete
  69. Go right ahead and encourage your friends and family to go along.

    ReplyDelete
  70. It really was. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Brisk walking is also one way to get fit. But the great way about fun run is you are not alone and the presence of other runners motivates you to finish the race at your own pace. 

    ReplyDelete
  72. I certainly will !

    ReplyDelete
  73. You're a great storyteller, Sarah. I had fun reading your post. :)
    When I was still working at the call center we had no events like this. I don't know if I would have joined. But mukhang andami nag-eenjoy ha. Maybe I'm missing something. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  74. Glad you had fun, running is really a good exercise for all ages :)

    ReplyDelete
  75. Wow! Congratulations, I hope I can join this kind of event..:)

    ReplyDelete
  76. Hello, this is Anne Lei, one of the BC Bloggers Angels. We have reviewed our comment exchanges dated May 21 and 28. It happened that you have not yet finished commenting on these tasks. This is just to let you know that you can still comment until next week. 

    Any questions, we are here to help. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  77. I am sorry. I already deleted the chart where I can comment. 

    ReplyDelete
  78. wow sis,ur so inspiring!i walked everymorning for an hour but i stopped,but when iread ur blog,its inspire me to walk or run  again,,and maybe ill stop smoking(u know that)hehe..keep up the good work girl,love yah,im always here for u..

    ReplyDelete