Thursday, August 29, 2013

To Lend A Helping Hand


It had just been almost two weeks since Typhoon Maring left the country but its effects can still be seen and felt almost every where. Some provinces are still flooded, electricity and water just recently resumed in some localities, homeless families still in evacuation centers and garbage can be seen almost ANYWHERE. It is hard not to get affected each time you hear or read about the news especially if you pass by them on your way home. Though typhoons are catastrophes that this country had gotten used to, the creepiness sometimes starts to built especially if they become worst year after year.

During these days a little act of kindness goes a long way.Volunteerism that started during the height of the storm still continues. Donations whether in cash or in kind, in the form of food, clothes, water and medicine matter a great deal. Different organizations, malls, fast food chains, schools, churches and even in the offices accept donations. There is the willingness to give and to look for ways to share that even hand me down clothes means a lot especially if the recipient have nothing else left.

I grew up in a family where most of my clothes were hand me down. I thought then that it was just  normal for my cousins to share the clothes they no longer use. Those hand me down acts continued and developed until I had kids. My cousins including my in laws would give not just clothes but shoes, bags, toys and even books that their kids no longer read. And just like me, my kids thought it was no big deal. On the contrary they are happy to have something new (to them at least) and get to show it to their friends. There was even a time that they would sleep with their "new toys," making sure that they get to wake up with them still in the same place.



www.facebook.com/phredcross


Now that most of my kids had grown up, I tell them time and again that the value of giving is an  unending cycle.When there are instances that donations especially for typhoon victims are needed I encourage them to look for the things they no longer use and have it given away. I make it a point for them to always remember that the reason why we share was because we knew how it felt not to have much and that for every little thing a person receives in times of need, it matters a whole lot.


At times It does not really take that much to lend a helping hand.


To those who want to volunteer, you can visit www.redcross.org.ph and call your nearest chapter.






1 comment:

  1. This is a timely post. Calamity or not, helping people to better their lives is priceless. The farthest I went as far as volunteering is concerned is getting involved in our church's feeding mission. The feeling is indescribable when you see kids' face all lit up because you give them a bowl of lugaw or sopas. Sadly, we stopped because we ran out of funds...

    ReplyDelete