Saturday, October 12, 2013

A Surprise Cake At 45


How often do you celebrate your birthday? Do you plan on it every year, allotting money consciously so you can treat your family and friends perhaps or do you just simply celebrate it in your own home? Was there ever a time that your special day seemed just like any ordinary one, with nothing special in mind and doing just the same routine and chores ? Was there even a time that you dreaded your birthday because that would mean you have aged another year, that life's clock is ticking non stop and you have no control over it ? Do you even look forward in celebrating your birthday?

I just had my birthday more than a  week ago. Personally I prefer to celebrate birthdays the simple and subtle way. Simple because I grew up in a family where going to church and kissing the hands of my parents and relatives after hearing mass was the best way to start my special day and though that tradition had become seldom thru the years due to the nature of my work and lack of sleep, I decided that it would be best to be grateful each day that comes instead of pretending to hear Mass while my mind wanders lazily until I end up sleeping and sad to say, "snoring,"during homily especially on my birthday. Subtle because I chose to celebrate it at home with my family, having "pancit" for lunch. No drinks, ice cream, not even a cake. As simple as that which was just fine.


A day after my birthday I was scheduled for training for two days. When I arrived at work, one of my colleagues said that there was something for me and when I asked about it, they handed me a red box whose package was easily recognizable because of its brand. That's when my puzzled face turned into a big smile. I have to admit I was surprised and all I could say was "Thank you. My kids will love this." I immediately kept the cake in my locker, which gratefully had fit in and went to the training room to start my day.





This was how my Red Ribbon cake  looked like,with my name on it making it personalized. I never got the chance to take a picture of it because my youngest son, Red devoured his slice the minute he saw it. I should have known that my birthday cake will not be kept hidden for long inside the fridge because of my hyperactive, semi sweet and sugar deprived kids but I also made sure I got to taste it as well. And I have to admit it tasted "yummy and delicious," just enough for my semi sweet, deprived taste buds. So I decided to research further by visiting their website where you can check their different products, promos and store locations. What more you can order online and take advantage of their birthday package promo if you are planning to have a birthday on a budget. Once you register, you get your next orders easier and faster.

When I asked my colleagues if they had ordered my cake online, they gave me a different story.They told me that after shelving their contributions including that of my Unit Manager, one co worker went to the nearest store to order and what's great about it was the fact that she was able to get the cake on the same day. Fast and easy in a jiffy enough to surprise any birthday celebrant. And though it has been more than a week since my birthday, I could not help but recall how I planned and spear headed a surprise gift for our fourth grade teacher who happened to be my Mom many years ago. I had told my classmates then about "our teacher's" upcoming birthday and had asked for voluntary contributions so that we could buy a card and a simple gift. I had almost forgotten about that incident but writing this post somehow triggered that memory of gift giving which has now become full circle. Life indeed has a strange way of rounding things.

Simple and subtle, that was how I  always celebrated my birthdays. A lot of things may have come and gone but not the simple act of giving and making your special day worth remembering. A family's shared meal, cooked by a daughter who decided to stay home in exchange for her thesis' initial defense, a hug from a Mom who you seldom see and had stopped counting on the many missed birthdays celebrated, messages and greetings from people, especially those whom you have not met yet and had not seen for a long time both here and abroad, and a spontaneous thought of generosity from colleagues whose respect and affection can be felt even from a simple cake. At this age I realized I am such a lucky and blessed person for being remembered on my special day and because of that I promised myself to celebrate each coming year with profound simplicity and subtlety, making each one more memorable than the last.

If you are planning to celebrate your birthday or even your love ones birthday, take time to check out  Red Ribbon's website . You could also visit their facebook page for updates.








0 comments:

Post a Comment