Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I Can Dance, I Can Serve


We all know that October is the month for Breast Cancer Awareness. Seminars, Fun Runs, breast cancer screening,mammography tests at a discounted rate, even for free can be read, heard and seen whether in social media or in print for the whole month.What more communities and other organizations gather together for different causes and events to create awareness to those who are still in the dark regarding the dreaded disease and to empower  both breast cancer patients and survivors.

It so happened that October is also my birth month and my dad's death anniversary who died because of lung cancer. It was also his sister's anniversary as well when she succumbed to colon cancer. Every first week of October becomes a memorable date since my dad passed away and since I just turned 45 years old, I vowed to celebrate this first week into something cause worthy that will hopefully become a yearly event for the rest of my life. That is why a week before my birthdate I had searched online for events like fun runs, seminars and communities who proactively spreads breast cancer awareness in any way they can. It was then that I have discovered I CAN SERVE FOUNDATION.


History And Mission 

Formerly known as Information on Breast Cancer and Other Services, I Can Serve Foundation, Inc. was founded on 1999 by four breast cancer survivors headed by journalist Kara Magsanok-Alikpala and co founded by Crisann Celdran, Becky Fuentes and Bet Lazatin. These four friends saw the need to provide a circle of support and information for women who were early diagnosed, those who were in cancer treatments and breast cancer survivors who were in remission navigation through their "new normal" life.

A non-stock, non profit foundation based in Manila Philippines, it advocates early breast cancer detection through high impact information campaigns and community based screening programs.It empowers women with breast cancer and provides cancer related information so they can have a voice in their own health care, offering hope that they are not alone in their journey.These cancer survivors become volunteers, willing to share their stories, enlightening other patients so that their path is better lit and their journey a bit lighter.


The Event 


facebook.com


I have long wanted to celebrate my birth date in a different and memorable way. I am not that much of a cook and a bit anti social so throwing up a party will not do me much good. I would love to go visit an orphanage, donate some clothes or books but I realized my kids and I also do that during the holidays. When I read about the two hour Zumba Party for the benefit of ICanServe-Foundation-Inc in celebration of the International Breast Cancer Awareness Month I knew that my wish had been granted.

So for those of you who want to help raise funds for the benefit of breast cancer patients and survivors this second Saturday of October come and spend your afternoon in a Dance Fitness Party for a cause.


SHOW SOME LOVE. SPREAD SOME HOPE. BE IN THE LOOP!



For more information, please visit www.facebook.com/pages/ICanServe-Foundation-Inc.




0 comments:

Post a Comment